When you get notified that the file has changed on disk, and is different from your current buffer:
file has changed since visited or saved. Save anyway?
is very useful for seeing what has actually changed.
I tend to get this when I’ve changed something org-related via orgzly on my mobile while I was also changing something on my laptop.
to find out what the name is of the command that is performed by a particular key binding.
In case it helps anyone, here are the steps I needed to take to get geben working in spacemacs in order to debug local web apps (this in Ubuntu 16.04):
- Add geben package to .spacemacs and reload
dotspacemacs-additional-packages '(some-other-package geben)
- Assuming you have xdebug installed, add the following to your php.ini file in /etc/php/7.1/apache2/php.ini
- Open the file you’re interested in debugging
- Start geben in spacemacs with M-x geben
- Navigate to localhost/some-app.php in a browser
That should trigger geben. Debugging time!
A bonus note: I didn’t have any luck with geben-find-file when trying to add breakpoints to other files in the project, but using geben-open-file worked (just a little bit more cumbersome.)
Really impressed by spacemacs so far. I started out with Emacs back in the day. Switched to Vim at some point. Spent the last 7 years or so using Visual Studio with the fantastic VsVim plugin. After a while I began to see Vim more as a great set of keybindings, not so much as a program to proselytise in its own right. Most text editors will have a Vim keybindings plugin. Now, after moving to new work and away from the Microsoft stack, Spacemacs is seeming like a great system – very very thorough Vim bindings support, but with a very powerful and well-though out system underneath that.
Spacemacs was completely unresponsive at startup. Turns out, for whatever reason, it was after I was using my laptop in a new place, and based on this FAQ obviously the ISP there was doing something funky: https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/blob/develop/doc/FAQ.org#why-is-spacemacs-hanging-on-startup.
Adding the settings there to the user-init function did the trick:
"-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath='tramp.%%C' -o ControlPersist=no")